The JDS Labs THE ELEMENT is an extraordinary headphone amplifier and USB-DAC for professional music lovers. The amplifier renders shocking power, driven by an ultra clean DAC, all housed in a precision machined chassis with a comfortable knob.
- type: headphone amplifier and USB-DAC, metall housing;
- technology: audio formats up to 24/96;
- connections: Headphone Output 6.35mm (1/4"), Analog Input RCA, DAC Line-Output RCA, Digital Input USB - Type B;
- operating system: Windows XP/7/8, OS X, Linux;
- all JDS products are "Made in America" and directly imported from HEADSOUND.
JDS Labs designed The Element to enjoy headphones without compromise. Its amplifier renders shocking power, driven by an ultra clean DAC, all housed in a precision machined chassis with a comfortable knob. The Element beautifully drives headphones of all technologies and sizes.
The Element is built for enjoyment. Dual LME49600s on 30V rails effortlessly drive the most demanding headphones. Dual gain and power buttons are relay controlled for comfortable interaction, and microprocessor logic completely eliminates turn on/off transients.
Relay controlled power logic eliminates turn on pops and thumps produced by lesser amps.
Ultra High Power
With peak output in excess of 1.5W, The Element drives all headphones on the market to extraordinary levels, from balanced armatures to planar magnetics.
Reference Grade Sound
The Element exceeds TPD criteria, outmatching our baseline for audible perfection.
Low Output Impedance
The Element's extremely low output impedance ensures transparent frequency response for all headphone loads.
Low gain of 1.0x is well suited to driving efficient IEMs, while High gain easily powers demanding full size sets.
Wide DAC dynamic range and low noise minimize hiss, and allow harmless use of software volume controls.
- Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.15dB
- THD+N 100 Hz -0.15 dBFS 0.0023%
- THD+N 20 Hz -0.15 dBFS 0.0016%
- THD+N 10 kHz -0.15 dBFS 0.0019%
- IMD CCIF 19/20 kHz -6.03 dBFS 0.0011%
- IMD SMPTE -6.03 dBFS 0.0012%
- Noise A-Weighted dBu 24/96 -102 dBu
- Dynamic Range (A-Weighted) >112 dB
- Linearity Error -90 dBFS 24/96 -0.02 dB
- Crosstalk -10 dBFS 100K RCA -100 dB
- USB Jitter Components 11025Hz -113 dB
- Maximum DAC Line-Output, 100K 2.10 VRMS
- Frequency Response 20Hz-20kHz +/- 0.1dB
- THD+N 1kHz, 150 Ω 0.0009%
- IMD CCIF 19/20kHz 150 Ω 0.0004%
- IMD SMPTE 150 Ω 0.0005%
- Noise, A-Weighted -108 dBu
- Crosstalk @ 150 Ω -67 dB
- Output Impedance 0.1 Ω
- Channel Balance +/- 0.56 dB
- Max Continuous Output, 600Ω 140 mW (9.4VRMS)
- Max Continuous Output, 150Ω 505 mW
- Max Continuous Output, 32Ω 1.1 W
- Peak Output Power, 32Ω 1.5W
- Interface USB, Audio Class 1
- Native OS Support Windows XP/7/8, OS X, Linux
- Audio Formats 16/44, 16/48, 16/88.2, 16/96, 24/44, 24/48, 24/96
- Headphone Output 6.35mm (1/4"),
- Analog Input RCA,
- DAC Line-Output RCA,
- Digital Input USB - Type B
- Case Dimensions 5.8 x 5.8 x 1.6 in
- Weight 18 oz
- copper - ring in the middle is copper
- red - ring in the middle is red
- black - ring in the middle is black
- Dual Gain 1.0x and 4.7x
- Thin Film Resistors 0.1% Tolerance
- Volume Potentiometer Taper Alps 15A
scope of delivery
- The Element, Amplifier+DAC
- 16VAC Power Adapter
- 1 USB Cable
reviews and tests
kopfbox.de: [german] "Der JDS Labs The Element vereint durch die Kombination von erstklassigem DAC mit einem leistungsstarken Kopfhörerverstärker seine maximale Simplizität in Bedienung und Konzept mit grandiosem Design und hochwertigen Bauteilen."
headfonia.com: "Without being the final word on absolute output quality, Element is both powerful and resolved enough to warrant the massive interest it’s accrued. Add to that iOS/OSX plug ’n play simplicity, stunning looks, and great ergonomics and you have quite a deal."
"Power to the people: The mighty, yet affordable JDS Element desktop headphone amp"